Southwest ISD was established in 1951 when 5 rural districts merged together to establish Southwest HS Rural District. SWISD is the 6th largest school district in Bexar County serving almost 14,000 students. In March, 1950, Common School District No. 29 was annexed by election to the Southwest Rural High School District created by the Bexar County Board of Trustees. It was created to group the area “common school districts” of Medina #26, Von Ormy #27, Tinsley #30, Idlewilde #29, and Macdona #45 to form one High School for those students who had to travel by bus for two hours into the city of San Antonio to attend high school. In April, 1962, by order of a special election, it became the Southwest Independent School District, serving students in grades 7 through 12.
The Fall of 1951 was an exciting time for high school students in southwest Bexar County – they would be attending their own high school for the first time! Mr. R. K. Williams was the first Superintendent and was instrumental in consolidating the area districts into a high school district as well as overseeing the securing of the property and the building of the first High School. Principal Charles W. Anderson had a faculty of twelve teachers. Members of the first graduating in 1952 met in the Medina River bottom to discuss choices for a name of the school, the mascot, school colors and a design for a senior ring. Class B football was played that first Fall, but no touchdowns were made – and no games won! Although no Homecoming was planned for that year, a Football Sweetheart was chosen. There were eleven senio